Monday, February 27, 2017

Meteora

Rocks with monasteries
We took a bus ride from Delphi to Meteora. Meteora is from the Greek word meteoros which means "suspended from air". I think it is called Meteora because there are tall rocks that are so high in the sky and when it is foggy it seems like you are in the clouds.

On top of the rocks there are monasteries. The monasteries were built in the 1300s and some are on rocks that are 1000 feet tall. The reason they built so high up is because they wanted to be safe from the Turkish people who were invading Greece. The monks got up to the monasteries by going into a net and getting pulled up or climbing up a ladder.

We got up to the  monasteries in a taxi then we hiked down a nice trail. When we were up there we noticed the monasteries were being built onto and were becoming fancier.










7 comments:

  1. I bet you're glad you didn't have to climb a ladder to the monasteries. They look amazing. I especially like the photo of the monastery shrouded in the light fog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool!!! I hope you are eating lots of greek food. have you gone to any temples??

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool!!! I hope you are eating lots of greek food. have you gone to any temples??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! It's so gorgeous there and I hope you know I'm officially jealous of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. woah the view is awesome!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete